Thursday, March 19, 2009

To My Son...

since that moment

you have belonged to me
entirely, exclusively,
though our days alone will soon be memories,
distant footsteps in the shadows of my heart.

i'll miss watching you mold mountains.
i’ll miss the faithful drum beat in the night
helping me find my way
while it vibrates my soul,
soothing my fears.

as i've muddled through emotions,
you've quietly comforted.
we've shared conversations, laughs, tears even.

as much as i cannot wait to see you, to touch you,
a small part selfishly wants to keep you hidden,
to tend to you on my own,
a graceful secret.

but then i would never know your hand around my finger
or your eyelashes fluttering on my cheek
as i lean in to gather the scent of love.

soon you'll arrive.
i will share my most prized possession,
my favorite story.
you will open your eyes, breathe,
and they will see
what only I have known

since that moment.

2 comments:

Veronica Lee said...

Hi, I'm visiting from MBC. Great blog.

Deb said...

Thank you! Just seeing this now because I was not updating for a while, but I am back :) Following you and would love if you would follow me too!