Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hee Blow It's Off to Lamaze We Go

I'm 35 weeks and I'm wondering where the time went. I can remember being 11 and 12 weeks, thinking that I would be pregnant forever. I felt fat and wanted nothing more than to just get to the point where I looked pregnant. Well I've been at that point for quite sometime now, though it feels like just yesterday it was August 3rd and Matt and I were first finding out that we were! sniffle, tear.

Yesterday we attended Lamaze class from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. It was a long day, but we did learn a lot. Two weeks ago I found out that I am not a candidate for an epidural because of the back surgery that I had when I was 10. My immediate reaction was panic, but now that I know some relaxation and breathing techniques, I feel a bit better. Let's hope that I can remember them in the midst of labor!

Our childbirth instructor, Barb, was um, odd. Very nice, but nonetheless, she was a weirdo. She was full of creative descriptions, such as icky poo uterus. I will use it in a sentence to clarify: "If your feel like you have an icky poo uterus, call your doctor immediately."

She really got into the breathing and massaging which caused more then a few outbursts of uncontrollable laughter. I could never ever be a childbirth instructor. It's one thing to do the "hee blow" while you are in labor, with only your husband, a few nurses and your doctor as witnesses, but to do it for 20 plus years in front of strangers, well, that takes a special kind of person!

We met a couple in our Lamaze class who live in our neighborhood! Matt swore that he recognized the guy, and I told him that he thinks he knows someone everywhere we go, but turns out, he really did know him! When we first moved in about 2 and 1/2 years ago, Matt played flag football with a bunch of guys down at the park, and Donovan was one of them. Donovan and his wife, Holly, look to be about our age, and they are also expecting their first child too, so we are excited to learn more about them and to hang out.

Lamaze let out around 4:10 p.m., so we had time to run home to feed and walk the pups. After that, we turned right back around and went to the hospital for the second time in one day because we had our check in appointment at 5:30 p.m. While we waited, we entertained ourselves by looking at the babies in the nursery. Finally, the woman came and got us and we went to her office to get our information in the system, fill out some paperwork, and watch a video on shaken baby sad.

Because I cannot have an epidural, I've been wondering what they would do if I end up needing a cesarean. I asked her and she told me that they would put me under. I don't know why, but I never considered the possibility! I assumed there was something else they could give me that would numb the pain, but still allow me to witness the birth of Matty. She went on to say that if that was the case, Matt wouldn't be allowed in with me. Of course I started crying. It was as if my whole birth plan was unraveling! I composed myself quickly and the woman assured me that most likely, a cesarean wouldn't be necessary.

On the way home from the hospital, Matt reminded me that although it wasn't ideal, I need to stay focused on the goal: to give birth to a healthy baby, regardless of how it had to happen. That's why I love him and we complement each other so well. I get super emotional and he brings me back to reality! But still, I'm praying that I can have a successful vaginal delivery.

Other than that, we're busy getting ready. Matt is painting the nursery. It's still a mess, but it's coming along. Once everything is painted, it's a matter of putting all of the furniture in place and adding the finishing touches. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to share of the finished product soon.

Now I'm off to clean and then get ready for my overnight trip to Atlantic City with my mom. Wish us luck!

No comments: